This online course of studies is based on the recording of a two-day workshop where Nick delivered his Level One PCW Practitioner Training Course with a focus on coaching. This recording has been edited only to cut out group work, longer Q & A sessions and cut to fit into Module One and Module Two.
Each Part consists of Nick delivering the training content in his usual style and includes various demonstrations of the model in practice. These recordings were of a live workshop on the 14th & 15th of January 2017 at the UK College of Personal Development training centre in Swindon, Wiltshire. The audience consisted of a mix of NLP Practitioners, and experienced Coaches and Therapists.
Nick Kemp has been involved in personal development for over other thirty years. His interest in hypnosis and NLP began in the 1990s when he started to produce a series of audio products under the “Human Alchemy” brand.
In 2004 he first met Frank Farrelly the creator of Provocative Therapy at a workshop in the UK and was immediately amazed by his work. He had read his original book, but seeing him in person was a very different experience. They became first friends and Nick began hosting Frank every year in the UK from 2005 and began co-presenting with him from 2008 as a Farrelly approved Provocative Therapy Trainer.
In Nicks own words:
In 2006 I was asked by the BBC to talk about my work with phobias and was a guest in the UK on BBC radio for 26 consecutive weeks. I also began seeing private clients and set up two clinics in the north of England. This experience helped me formulate what was to become “Provocative Change Works” and in this year I released “Provocative Change Works for Phobias” which had narration by Frank Farrelly himself.
“You’ll find Nick kemp’s work of Provocative Therapy mixed with Hypnosis quite a blend and Enlightening!” ~ Frank Farrelly
From 2007 I began to teach Provocative Change Works events in the UK as well as overseas. In 2008 I was asked to present at the IASH conference in San Francisco for the first time. I was also invited to present my work at The Advanced Mastery Training hosted by Steve and Connirae Andreas in the USA and returned to present at IASH in 2010. The USA training sessions were recorded for DVD and released as “Provocative Change Works in the USA Part 1 and Part 2” Steve Andreas made the following comment about Nick’s work
“Nick Kemp has modelled two different simple processes which are part of his Provocative Change Works™ set of tools for working with anxiety and other strong emotions that I have found enormously useful in working with clients. He has also modelled the different patterns in Frank Farrelly’s Provocative Therapy so that they are easy to learn. In addition, he is everything you might wish for in a colleague – available, creative, and eager to discuss ideas and learn as well as teach.”
This second IASH presentation gave me the opportunity to meet with NLP Medics from Japan for the first time which led to me being invited to present a series of workshops in Tokyo and Hiroshima in 2011 with further plans to return in subsequent years and teach the PCW Practitioner course. I also contributed a chapter on PCW to the “Innovations in NLP” compendium published by Crownhouse Publishing. I currently present Provocative Change Works training in the USA, Europe, UK and Asia as well as bespoke in-house training for NLP certificated events and for the business sector.
An Overview of the full PCW Practitioner Training
Nick Kemp & Tony Nutley
There are 3 levels of training to the Provocative Change Works practitioner. The completion of each level does not automatically qualify a student’s acceptance of training at the next more advanced level. Some students may repeat a level and of course, some individuals may be perfectly happy to train only to level 1 or level 2 standards. The Practitioner course is the result of seven years intense study of how best to use provocation in client sessions, two decades of exploring personal development approaches including hypnosis and NLP and insights from over 5000 hours of client sessions in my UK clinics.
The level 1 training is essentially an overview of the PCW process, level 2 focusses on more in-depth skills development and level 3 focusses on working in a live client context. Level 3 attendees will be expected to complete a number of homework assignments prior to attending the level 3 group event.
A PCW practitioner will have completed levels 1 – 3 as well as maintaining suitable continued professional development. In some instances, the material for levels 1 – 3 may be taught on an individual as well as in a workshop group basis. All recognised PCW practitioners will be expected to comply with the PCW code of ethics.
A PCW practitioner is not qualified to teach PCW but has the requisite skills to work with clients. Revalidation for Practitioner level is every 3 years and practitioners will be expected to maintain their skills and understanding of the PCW process.
I had the incredible opportunity to work with Nick at a PCW workshop in England. Direct, affable, fun, challenging and frankly brilliant. What I loved about Nick were the unasked for, unexpected and concise inputs that were far beyond what I could have expected or asked for from our session. Nick is highly intellectual, highly professional, and completely un-pretentious and uniquely – has a heart of gold that deep down, just wants to help others. Nick is a gem. ~ Paul Hughes
I am keen that there is a professional quality standard for this training process and attendees will be stretched with assignments as well as the actual group training. The following is an overview of the training structure with content bullet-pointed. This is not a definitive indication of all the content that will be taught, but rather an indication of the key areas for levels 1 – 3 PCW training that is needed for a student to become a practitioner.
Level 1 Introduction and overview of concepts
As suggested this is the ground level first stage to PCW training.
This is what is included –
- Ability to use provocative stances and understand stance implications
- Awareness of core provocative exercises and the ability to incorporate exercises with icon cards
- Ability to demonstrate Voice Tempo Exercise
- Ability to adopt appropriate manner for client sessions
- Ability to demonstrate Arm Relaxation exercise
- Ability to use nonverbal skills to assist in changing states
- Ability to demonstrate the Integration of hypnosis and provocation elements with ease
Level 2 – Skill development
PCW Group Work – UKCPD, Swindon
This second-level focusses on developing skills and precision when working with clients. Here there is more emphasis on state control and being able to work with greater fluidity. This is what is included –
- Ability to improvise and grasp key improvisational skills in client sessions
- Creating l inductions using client metaphors
- Identifying and challenging metaphors in client sessions
- Ability to use PCW spinning feelings to change client states
- Voice training and inflection skills to become a more powerful communicator
- Ability to identify and use language patterns to NLP Prac standard
- Ability to use suggestive predicates to direct client attention
- Ability to identify and explore metaphors in conversational language
- Advanced hypnosis awareness and usage of Ericksonian patterns
- Ability to create and record 5-minute hypnosis induction for specific client needs
- Ability to use all provocative stances with ease and understand the stance implications
- Identify drivers for behaviour and recognize problem patterns in clients
- Review an existing PCW client session on video and write up commentary detailing elements of the PCW approach used during this session
Level 3 Coaching, Therapeutic and Business applications
This third level is for those who want to become practitioners and work with clients in therapeutic and business contexts. A practitioner needs to be able to demonstrate the skills in a context with clients as well as having an in-depth understanding of the skills. This is what is included
- Therapeutic and Business applications of PCW
- Structure client session from initial contact to follow up sessions
- Strategic thinking exercise
- Using Fractionation in client communication
- Demonstrate fluidity with all 3 aspects of PCW
- Provide case studies of working with clients
- Ability to work with a live client with supervision
- Ability to use stories/metaphors at the advanced level
- Produce Feedback CD for a client using client notes & session information